Friday, August 24, 2012

Important kitchen tools for the starter kitchen

 My sister in law just moved into her first house with her lovely family.  She is wanting me to help her learn to cook and she only has a small assortment of dollar store kitchen tools that everyone starts out with. That inspired me to post some basic kitchen tools to replace that starter set. I love to cook and I have tried a lot of the gadgets out there and own a lot of them. These are things that are not only useful as their intended purpose and are great "multitaskers" as my hero Alton Brown says. Disclaimer: Everyone knows good knives are a kitchen most and I really believe investing in a good knife and cookware set is important.   But I know it is hard to get these big ticket items right off the bat. Most of these tools are less than $10 and all are less than $20.  TIP: garage sales, charity shops and thrift stores are a great source for cheap used better quality kitchen tools if you are willing to go often and dig through the trash for the treasures. * Not shown but essential are thermometers- fry & instant read digital thermometer .  This is very important for judging the doneness of meats and fry thermometer for candy and frying.  Both are about $10.
Tools from my kitchen, they show the battle scars from use.



Can be bought from Asian grocery stores.

1. The dao bao I love for stripping lemons and oranges of their zest.  They do it more completely than a grater and if you get a bit of the white pith you can scrap it off with the back of a knife.  Then chop or grate or leave the zest whole for easy fishing out after cooking. They are also great veggie peelers and can be sharpened unlike most other types of peelers.  I have also used it as an impromptu paring knife on occasion. Under $5 in Asian markets. (think I paid $3)

2. My other favorite tool is a pair of chef tongs. Get both a long and a short pair, they are handy for everything from flipping bacon and the BBQ to canning. Get the heavier stainless type rather than the thin aluminium, they don't twist then you pick up heavy items and I believe they are worth the slightly higher price for how often you will use them. 

3. Kitchen shears. Cut meat, string for trussing chicken, parchment paper, chop herbs.  All around handy items.

4.  Long handled good quality wooden spoons. Better for non stick pans.  The dollar store ones are too short and can dangerous to get your hand that far in a deep pot.  Splurge and get one or two that are long enough and lasting quality. You will not be sorry.

5 & 6. These are silicone and will go up to 500 degrees before melting.  These are from Le Cruset.  They are worth the splurge to have one or two that will not melt. I can't tell you how many cheap tools I have melted over the years. So you are not saving money getting the melty kind and I think melted plastic is not good spice for your food. These are good for non stick pans as well.

7 & 8. Stainless spoons, slotted and soup with slots.  I splurged and got these and I am not sorry for buying heavy long handled items.  These are both extremely long handled and can be used in canning and serving.  Not good for non stick pans. These will last a life time.  These are the $20 items.

9. Soup ladle with slots. I love these, this is a cheaper one I bought to test the idea before I splurged on the stainless. I use it often when serving soups and stews.  But the plastic handle bends under load.  Probably will break one day.

10, 11 & 18.  Yes, I do have 3 spatulas here and really I have probably 3 more.  (one with a flipper fork on top, not so great)  10- pancake flipper for cast iron my husband insisted on.  Sometimes you really do need a larger flipper. I have used it to help flip chickens with my tongs. Tuesday morning find.   11- small flexible stainless, I use for mostly cookies but it is good for cast iron eggs as well. Garage sale find .25 cents. 18 - The plastic for eggs and non stick. Good heavy rubbermade one.

12. Citrus juicer.  This is cheaper than a machine and great job for the kids as they get old enough to help.  This juices and strains the pips but is not really a true multitasker. But so many things require lemon/lime/orange juice and powered kid's drinks taste better with a bit of lemon it it I believe it is worth having in a good kitchen kit.  This type is cheap, I got a used one at the thrift store for .49 cents.

13 & 14. I believe good strainers are important.  They can sift flour, strain canned items, dip out food like noodles and peas as well as strain lumpy gravy.  Both rest on pyrex measuring cups and pots. I like having 2 sizes. (I lie I own about 6 sizes but these are the most useful 2 sizes.) I use them in canning, cold brewed coffee and sifting powered sugar and flour.

15. Heavy good quality Potato masher.  Use it for all types of mashed foods even baby.  Worth it to have a heavy tool that helps you not breaks under pressure.

16. Wisk, I have both a stainless and this one. I use this one more because my le cruset and you would need it for non sitck. Bamboo wisks are good for this also. If I have a job big enough for the stainless wisk I tend to use the kitchen aid instead.

17. Turkey baster, I rarely use it for turkey. (I brine and cook them upside down)  Mostly I use it for straining fat off stock and basting other items.  It is the least used of the items in the photo.

What you will not see in my kitchen:

Garlic mashers and peelers- too messy.  I whack with a rock or a flat knife or use salt and the back of the knife like Rachel Ray.

Electric can openers- not enough counter space and get gross. Get a good quality crank kind.




1 comment: